They created the first map of animals that had yet to be discovered on Earth


Scientists suggest we know only about 20% of all living species on Earth. Where are the remaining 80% hiding?

There are scholars who claim that The sixth extinction Huge in our wake. In addition to the climate emergency Climate changeThe environmental status of the planet foreshadows biologists, conservationists and a wide range of experts in various fields. For this reason, prof Animal map resident Not discovered.

Map with information you should know

Foto: Getty Images

The Agencies From geography and land areas to track known. For the first time in history, a team of scientists has embarked on an investigation Opposing target: Design a map that Try to locate places On the planet where it is still there Species to discover.

This effort responds to the global biodiversity crisis. With increasing velocity, the diversity of species, ecosystems, and breeding is reduced Environmental imbalances Important in different parts of the world. Awakening the interest of not knowing the spirit of knowing new species that has not yet been analyzed You lose them.

Map authors suggest Four countries have the greatest potential for finding new species: Brazil, Indonesia, Madagascar and Colombia.

According to scholars from Yale In charge of Map of life – As this study is called – documenting, classifying and preserving these animals will be an easier task with graphical representations of places to know:

“Conservative estimates indicate that at this time only 13-18% of all living species are known, although this number may reach 1.5%,” the researchers said in a statement.

Under this assumption, we remain About 80% of the species are still known In the planet. efforts Conservation and international obligationsAccording to the scientists, you should aim to not lose species for which there is no record yet:[…] These types [no descubiertas] And their jobs may be lost Always in ignorance“.

We suggest: Counting elephants from space, the new way to ensure their preservation

How do we address this “biodiversity deficit”?

Animal map
Foto: Getty Images

The ‘Biodiversity deficitIt has problematic repercussions in various fields of study. Most worrying of them, without a doubt, is An increasing environmental disaster looms In the not-too-distant future.

For this reason, ecologists at Yale University have designed a model that determines where unknown species of terrestrial vertebrates are likely to exist today. This algorithm depends on factors biologicalAnd the environmental s Social, Related to human activity.

The The chances of discovering and describing species vary quickly enough From animal to animal. This means it’s unlikely that the older species have cousins ​​that they don’t yet know.

Although the animal map at the beginning Maybe inaccurate, It is likely a Useful tool for preserving amphibians and reptiles That still does not appear before the eyes of science. “After centuries of efforts by biodiversity explorers and taxonomists, the catalog of life still exists Too many blank pagesThe authors write.

Read on:

Meet Simba, the first in vitro fertilization lion cub

There are only two northern white rhinos left in the world and both are females

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *